According to an article from eHow, How to Build a Fire Proof House, many people are still building houses that are vulnerable to fire. Many people do not realize that house fires do not spread from house to house in a big flame of fire. Fires spread by floating embers that land on wooden roofs of neighboring houses, that can ignite the whole house. There are several ways to help prevent house fires from occuring:
- Use insulated concrete forms for walls of your house. These walls are filled with concrete, which is one of the most fire resistant materials around today. This process costs more than normal wood-framed houses, but it lets out less cool or warm air so it can evertually pay for itself in the long run.
- Using fire-resistant roofing and siding to help prevent house fires. Different noncombustibile tiles, fiber cemet, brick, stucco, stone veneers, or even slate for the roofs are a few options for this.
- Insulate house with cellulose insulation, which is an eco-friendly material that is made with fire-retardant additives.
- Intall fire-resistant windows and doors that can reflect heat, and use steel doors that are pressure-treated.
- Install a sprinkler system that will extinguish small fires inside your house, and contain large fires until help arrives.
For more information on preventing house fires,